Described below are some common but serious health conditions, if your pet is demonstrating any of the symptoms outlined, please seek veterinary attention.
Reluctance to eat
If your pet has not eaten for 2 or more days, they are sick and require immediate veterinary attention.
Sometimes a male cat is unable to pass urine and if this condition persists it is fatal within 48 hours.
- straining to toilet
- scratching in his litter but failing to toilet or passing small amounts of urine
- not eating
- passing blood in his urine
- urinating inappropriately (having 'accidents')
- withdrawn, hiding or unresponsive
Common Signs of Health Problems in Older Pets
- Sustained or sudden weight loss
- Increased water intake
- Increased food intake accompanied by weight loss
- Insatiable appetite, always demanding food
- Increased urination (frequency or volume)
- Incontinence (loss of bladder control)
- Mobility issues (symptoms include: stiff limbs, joint pain, difficulty in grooming/matted coat)
- Behavioural changes
For cats of 10 years and older or dogs of 7 years and older we recommend a health check every 6 months. An annual health check is usually sufficient for younger animals.
Flea treatments found at veterinary clinics have a higher safety margin than those available at the supermarket, as well as providing flea control for several weeks after treatment as opposed to lasting only 3 days. Flea treatments recommended by veterinarians also are more effective because they control fleas not only on your pet, but in their immediate environment such beds and carpet.
What not to feed your dog
Can cause epileptic seizures and death.
Grapes and Raisins:
Can cause kidney failure.
Causes alcohol poisoning.
Even small amounts cause paralysis in the hind limbs.
Raw Salmon and Trout:
Are infected with parasites.
Onions and Garlic:
Are brittle and can splinter, not a good thing to be swallowing.
Sugar free candy:
Can cause liver failure.
Can cause pancreatitis.
Raw offal and meat:
Can contain hydatid cysts which can cause serious disease and can lead to death in humans. So cook all meat for pets and humans.